DeKalb Rotary Council
Celebrating Teachers of the Year and a Rich Part of Dunwoody History
This week, the DeKalb Rotary Council held the teacher appreciation and awards event that had been scheduled for March - online via Zoom rather than our traditional annual breakfast meeting with all the DeKalb County clubs. PDG Bill Mulkey has already congratulated Louise Barden for the Show Rotary Cares Award. You should also know:
- Our club nominated Michael Parks for the Bob Grant You are the Key award - presented in honor of a Stone Mountain PDG (who was also an Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Dunwoody). Mike was nominated for his amazing leadership for Rotary Youth Exchange in District 6900. Each club nominates someone for their service with youth and communities. This year the award went to Wayne Gresham of the Tucker Rotary Club but we're very proud to be able to recognize Mike for his service.
- Mary Sturken from Dunwoody High School was honored by our Club as Teacher of the Year. Mary is our Interact Club's sponsor and was part of our Service Above Self Scholarship selection committee.
- Council Chair Caesar Gaiters announced that our own Cathie Brumfield would serve as Council Chair for the 2020-21 Rotary year. Congratulations Cathie!
Dunwoody has a rich history with the DeKalb Rotary Council. We have had seven Council Chairs - Bill Mulkey, Mike Feeney and Jennie Stipick each served as chairs for two years, and Lang Wooddy, Ed Godshall, Kathy Brandt and Gary Lane each served a year. Lorri Christopher is currently serving as Council Treasurer.
Over the years, the clubs in the Council:
- Supported education - with Teacher of the Year awards, apple distribution to every teacher in a DeKalb County school, and book donations to local schools and libraries
- Collected medical equipment for distribution to needy individuals in conjunction with FODAC (Friends of Disabled Adults & Children)
- Created and distributed the I CARE card with a helpline number for youth (under Bill Mulkey's leadership)
- Sponsored Arrive Alive to transport high school students to and from prom
- Participated in a park clean-up (under Jennie's leadership)
- Helped sponsor our GRSP Leadership Weekend.
Posted by Jackie Cuthbert
June 10, 2020